City Of Greeley

Raw Water Dedication

All new development in Greeley must bring new raw water rights to the City. The Greeley Water & Sewer Board, through the Water Resource Division staff, sets the requirements for how much and which water rights can be used by the City to accommodate growth.

Residential Development
New residential development requires three acre feet of raw water per acre. This is based on gross acres, which includes detention ponds, open space and rights-of-way. Developers must dedicate the historical water rights used to irrigate the land being developed. Those water rights may be accepted by the City if they meet other criteria outlined in Water and Sewer Board resolutions and City ordinances.

Water rights purchased from other farms that are not directly associated with proposed developments cannot be accepted unless they are Colorado-Big Thompson (C-BT) units. For developments requiring less than six acre feet, cash-in-lieu of raw water rights may be accepted. The cash-in-lieu rate is established quarterly by the Water and Sewer Board and is based on the market price of C-BT water.

Commercial Development
Commercial developments must supply water rights in proportion to the size of each water tap needed and the annual allotment of water assigned to each service. As with residential development, only certain water rights can be accepted for this type of development. Cash-in-lieu of raw water rights can only be accepted for tap sizes that require no more than six acre feet of raw water.

Raw Water Dedication Frequently Asked Questions

What is raw water?
Water in its natural state, prior to any treatment.

Why is raw water dedicated to the City?
The developers provide raw water in the form of water rights, so Greeley's water treatment plants will have water to process to meet the added demand from new customers.

What is required of the developer to dedicate raw water?
A developer should contact the Water & Sewer Services Coordinator with proposed development plans to receive relevant ordinances and restrictions and to provide information on how the raw water demand will be met for new developments.

What raw water does the City accept?

  • Greeley Loveland System (Greeley- Loveland, Lake Loveland or Seven Lakes)
  • Greeley Irrigation Company (GIC or Ditch No.3)
  • Colorado Big Thompson (C-BT)

What is the current cash-in-lieu rate?
As of October 2014, the rate is $33,000 per acre foot. The cash-in-lieu rate is subject to change and is updated on a quarterly basis at the January, April, July, and October Water and Sewer Board Meetings.

What can you expect from the City?
As part of the City's preliminary plat approval the City will notify developers of the acreage and required raw water. The Greeley-Loveland Irrigation Company (GLIC) will charge the developer a stock research fee. Greeley will coordinate with the GLIC to research the developments raw water stock to determine if the water is acceptable for dedication credit.

How can I find out how much the plant investment fees are going to be?
Click here to view the current plant investment fees.